Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sweet Tweets


Yesterday afternoon I went to see a movie and have dinner with a friend. Susie stayed at home with daddy and was in bed before I returned home. This morning when she woke up, she looked at me and said her usual, "Good morning, Mommy." I responded in kind and asked her what she and daddy did last night. She narrated her version of events from the previous day: "Mommy left. Daddy didn't leave. Mommy come back."

*Susie is known to narrate her life in such a manner, telling us exactly what she is doing at all times: "Susie going in the kitchen. Susie getting spoon out of drawer. Susie playing with spoon. Susie hitting Wrinkles with spoon. Mommy taking spoon. Mommy make Susie mad . . . ." This type of chatter continues throughout the day, however, this is the first time I've been privy to a narration of past events.*

At any rate, I reassured her that mommies always come back. She thought for a moment, gave me a hug and said, "Don't leave again, Mommy. I love you very much."

Awww. Such sweet words, made even sweeter by the fact that this is one of the only things that Susie says that is not in the third person.

2 comments:

  1. That is very sweet.
    It's a good thing we didn't get on that bus to Chinatown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. She would have been very sad to have been left behind. And, John speculated that the reason it is so discounted is you get on the bus, then wake up in an ice bath missing one of your kidneys. So, the price might actually be $100.00 PLUS a kidney. . .

    ReplyDelete