Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lullabies

I didn't know any lullabies when Susie was born.  Or maybe I did and just couldn't think of them because I was so darn tired and stressed out about making sure she had enough food.  So, I sang her the only song that I knew all of the words . . . Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  Some might say that even then I didn't always get ALL of the words right (and they would probably be right).  I've never been into bands or rock stars or knowing all of the songs sung by an artist or knowing all of the words to songs.  Never.  I remember back to my pre-Susie days playing some game with friends of mine when the card gave you the beginning of the lyrics and the players finished them.  I NEVER knew the words.  My friends gave me sympathy points for my efforts.  Well, actually, it was a big group of guys and me, so more than likely I probably received points for being a girl.  Whatever.  I took them. 

But the point is, I am not good with song lyrics.  This is why Susie has an odd assortment of songs that I sing to her at night.  Of course we have Rudolph, and we have the Susie song, and we have a bizarre version of Hush Little Baby.  The Susie song is really just B-I-N-G-O changed to "Mommy has a little girl and Susie is her name.  S-U-S-I-E. . . ."  You have to stretch the syllables in the word "name," but it works and it may be what helped Susie learn to spell her name at such a young age.   Our own version of Hush Little Baby came about because I couldn't remember the words, so I went with what I know:

Hush little Susie, don't say a word
Mommy's going to buy you a mocking bird
And if that mocking bird won't sing
Mommy's going to buy you a diamond ring
And if that diamond ring won't shine
Mommy's going to buy you a 5 and dime
And if that 5 and dime goes bust
Mommy will set up a revocable trust
And if that trust should lose it's corpus
Mommy's going to buy you a Sea World porpoise
And if that porpoise should fail to do tricks
Mommy's going to buy you a team called the Nicks
And if those Nick's should fail to play
Mommy's going to buy you a horse and sleigh
And if that horse won't pull that sleigh
We'll try again another day.

Shhhh.  Night night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment