Monday, August 23, 2010

Hooked on Phonics

Ever since Susie was a baby, she has been watching Sesame Street's 20 year celebration movie.  When she first learned to speak, she would ask to see the La-las (because through out the movie Big Bird searches for people to sing La Las).  Now, Susie says something that sounds like, "Snesmee Steet."  She has very few words that I can't pick out, so it's not often that I have to correct her.  And, well, even sometimes when she doesn't get it exactly right, I still don't correct her.  For example, her formal greeting is "hi-low" rather than hello.

But for some reason, snesmee steet bothers me, so I feel the need to correct it. 

Me: Susie, it's Sess-ah-mee street
Susie: Snesmee Steet
Me: Say sess
Susie: Sess
Me: Say ah
Susie: Me Steet
Me: No, Susie, say sess ah mee
Susie: Snesmee Steet
Me: Repeat what I say.  Sess
Susie: Sess
Me: ah
Susie: Me Steet.

And it continued like this for at least 10 more attempts.  She still says Snesmee Steet.

No comments:

Post a Comment