Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First day of preschool

Susie started her first day of preschool.  We have been preparing her for quite some time.  She has read books about going to school and how mommy comes back; been told about how fun school is and how mommy comes back, over and over at every opportunity; and she has pretended to be at preschool with her cousins . . . who incidentally are all graduates of the same preschool.  I dropped her off this morning; she did fine.  I cried.  It was after all the first time that I ever left my child in the hands of people that are not related to me.

I went to pick her up and as I was walking down the hall, I heard wailing.  It didn't sound like Susie, but you never know what a kid might sound like after an hour or so of crying.  I peeked my head in the door and nope, Susie wasn't crying. She was sitting nicely at a table creating a picture with markers and crayons!  Yea Susie!! On the way home, I asked her if that kid had cried the entire time.  When she affirmed that he had, I asked her why he was crying.  She told me, "He missed his mommy.  Susie missed mommy but  mommies always come back."


Just as a side note, I had a friend pass away yesterday.  She was only in her forties.  I am almost in my forties.   Let me take a moment to say, dear God, please let Susie's truth about mommies be true for her for a very long time.  Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment