Friday, September 10, 2010

Mommy and Susie Happy Time

Susie loves "Mommy's bed."  Even Daddy's side of Mommy's bed.  She, in particular, loves sleeping there.  As a special treat, some times at night, when time permits, she and I crawl into Mommy's bed and read books.  It is a very sweet time for me.  As I read, she cuddles up to me and points to items of interest in her her books.  With some of her books that we have read over and over and over, she will either say some of the pages along with me, or if I pause mid-sentence, she will finish it. 

One book we like to read together is Elmo's 12 Days of Christmas. Last night she even became so comfortable with it that she sang the words for the first day of Christmas, " . . . and a red monster up in a treeeeeeee!"  We both giggled each time she was required to sing.  One of our favorite books is Mr. Brown Can Moo by Dr. Seuss.  She knows all of the sounds and I always pause to let her say them.  Tonight, after we finished reading the page where the hippopotamus is chewing gum, I started to turn the page.  Susie said,  "No Mommy.  No turn the page. . . .  Let's TALK about it." So, we talked about the hippo's crazy eye brows and Mr. Brown's moustache.  After all of her questions were answered we were finally able to finish the book. 

After book time we say our good night prayers.  Susie tells me, "Say Dear Gods, Mommy."  It is usually some version of, "Dear God, thank you for this wonderful day and *insert all of the fun stuff Susie did that day*. And, dear God, please help us tomorrow to be better about *insert all of the stuff Susie had to be fussed at about that day*.  Dear God, please bless all of the people that love me and all of the people that I love.  Dear God, keep us safe, healthy, happy and *insert other feel good words* through out the night and bring us a bright, new, joyous tomorrow.  Amen."

After prayers, we sometimes sing songs or tell stories.  We always have a few more giggles and tell each other that we love each other a few more time.  There are always plenty of hugs and an abundance of kisses.   As I said, it is a special time for me to spend with my daughter.  I try to have as many of these nights as I can.

Tonight, after it was all done and time for her to go to her bed and go to sleep, I told her, "Susie, it is time for night-night.  It's getting late." 

Susie snuggled closer to me and said, "No Mommy.  It's not getting late.  It's not night night time.  It's still happy time."

I asked her, "Happy time?" 

She said, "Yes, Mommy.  It's still Mommy and Susie happy time."

Such sweet words.  I'm thrilled, no . . . I am so very moved, that my special time WITH her is also special time FOR her. With her simple words and tender snuggles, she has taught me a whole new meaning of the word love.  I know that tomorrow our Dear Gods will include an abundance of thanks for Mommy and Susie happy time.

1 comment:

  1. makes me feel all warm inside... so precious... two of my very favorite ladies...

    ReplyDelete