Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Warrior

Funny.  I always thought my little girl would be a princess.  After all, I taught my nephews (with varying degrees of success) to add Beautiful Princess to the beginning of my name; I used to have princess parties with my girl friends; when I was carrying her, I commonly referred to her as Princess Susie Louise; and I ADORE the color pink.  Instead, in an effort to make sure that she grows into a strong, self confident woman, I have kept her from all but the occasional princess talk.  It was my sister-in-law who bought Susie her first tiarra and princess outfit.  Even then, it was for a casual princess.

In my efforts, this is what I have created:

Me: "Are you my little Princess Buttercup?" 

Susie: "No.  I am a warrior!"

Me: "You aren't a princess?"

Susie: "Noooooo, Mommy.  I'm a warrior."

I recall telling her that some time in the past; telling her that she is strong and could do anything.  I find it hilarious that she remembers.  Do I regret teaching her that? Nah.  She is still very sweet and girlie.  She can still learn to be civil and polite.  But she has time and time again proven that she has the spunk of a warrior.  My sister-in-law recently told me that Susie is bossy (as Susie made demands of her much older cousins).  I like how a friend put it the other day: "Wow! She is really going to be a leader." :) I hope so.  And, I hope she is a civil, polite, confident one.

1 comment:

  1. She'll soon be shooting at the walls of heartache if she wants to remain a warrior.

    ReplyDelete